Steel Structure Introduction
Steel structure is a structure which is made from the organized combination of custom-designed structural steel members to meet architecture and engineering requirements of users. This type of structure is widely used in construction projects of medium and large scale (pre-engineered buildings) by useful features of steel.
Steel structure involves sub-structure or members in a building made from structural steel. Structural steel is steel construction material which fabricated with a specific shape and chemical composition to suit a project’s applicable specifications.
The main ingredients of structural steel are iron and carbon. Manganese, alloys and certain chemicals also added to the iron and carbon to improve strength and durability.
Depending on each project’s applicable specifications, structural steel is fabricated by hot or cold rolling or made by welding together flat or bent plates.
Structural steel has various shapes, sizes and gauges. Common shapes include the I-beam, channels, and angles.
- I-Beam: I-shaped cross section.
- Z-Shape: has half a flange in opposite directions
- HSS-Shape: Hollow structural section includes square, rectangular, circular (pipe) and elliptical cross sections
- Angle: L-shaped cross section
- Structural Channels: C-beam or C-shaped cross section
- Tee: T-shaped cross section
- Rail Profile: Strap rail, Flanged rail, Baulk rail, Barlow rail, Flat bottomed rail, Double-headed rail, Bullhead rail, Tangential turnouts, Grooved rail
- Bar: a piece of metal, rectangular cross-sectioned and long, but not so wide so as to be called a sheet.
- Rod: a round or square and long piece of metal, see also rebar and dowel.
- Plate: metal sheets thicker than 4 mm.
- Open web joists
Read more: Steel Structures Design
Main structural types
- Truss structures: Bar or truss members
- Frame structures: Beams and columns
- Grids structures: latticed structure or dome
- Prestressed structures
- Beam bridge
- Truss bridge: truss members
- Arch bridge
- Cable-stayed bridge
- Suspension bridge
Read more: Steel Structures Manufacturing
The advantages of steel structure
1. Cost savings
Be inexpensive to manufacture, requires less maintenance than other traditional building methods. Moreover, 98% of all steel structure can be recycled into new steel products without reducing physical properties.
2. Quick erection
The accuracy of steel components speeds up the process and allows monitoring on the management software to complete sooner.
Read more: Steel Structures Erection
3. Health and Safety
Structural steel is manufactured at the factory and rapid erection on the construction site by skilled personnel make steel structure safe. Industry surveys consistently demonstrate that steel structure is the safest solution.
There has very little noise and dust in the process of steel structure erection because of structural steel members are fabricated at the factory.
New applications, loading conditions, vertical expansions can modify in the future and changes in owner’s desires in ways that other framing systems can not accomplish.
Steel structure can also add floors even when the building was originally completed many years.
Read more: Steel Structures Application
Contact Us – Our ATAD experts will solve your issues
Whether you’re looking for a contractor, would like to become a partner or want to know more about steel structure, please don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss further. We will help you resolve issues quickly and easily for your projects
ATAD STEEL STRUCTURE CORPORATION